Re: [SLUG] Brighthouse DVR file recovery?

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 00:46:00 EDT

On Sunday 16 September 2007 20:45, blee2@tampabay.rr.com wrote:
> Thus Steven Kent Johnson hast written on Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 08:15:15PM
-0400, and, according to prophecy, it shall come to pass that:
> > Not making this up. Unplug it overnight and plug it back in.
> > Literally, the machine would make a horrific noise about 5:00 AM and it
> > would be dead. I have gotten a brand new machine, and at about 5:00 AM
> > it too would be dead. Always the same time, always the same room.
> > The overnight unplug has worked in about 4-5 occassions for me.
>
> It started clacking last night during playback, like a bad hard drive.
> Then I came to a spot in the recording that kept repeating, like a scratch
> in a record. It started rebooting several times, eventually got to a
> state where it sat for hours "checking the recorder", then this morning
> gave the write error, and after another reboot simply shows a blank
> recording list.
> It records now, but I'm going to try to get it replaced since I think
> the drive is failing.
> I thought I might be able to mount the drive on a Knoppix box and copy
> some of the recordings if it uses a common file-system, but have given
> up on that, and lack the center-pinned hex-bit to open the case.

The center-pinned hex bit is probably security torx. They are easy to find
in the Tampa bay area. Home Depot may have them. Harbour Freight and
Wholesale Tool will have them. Most fleamarket tool sellers will have them.
I first got them because I had an IBM monitor I wanted to clean inside.

                                  Richard Smoot