Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Robin - Bartow FL (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 11:51:15 EDT

===================

> > If are having a problem with QCAD,
> Don't know. Yes. Maybe.
>
> First drawings which I work with daily are in AutoCAD Light format of DWG.
> AutoCad uses DFX format.
> QCAD will not read DWG format, only DFX.
> Got senior CAD person to transfer DWG formated drawings to DFX.
> QCAD will open drawings but when work drawing is opened X reference drawing is
> not opened.
> > 1. Did you search the Help manual and QCAD WWW forums?

>No I do not know what the basic problem is. Is it my files? Is it QCAD?

1. If you can't verify your files due to lack of AutoCAD access, then verify your QCAD.
Obtain a known good DXF (not DFX) file/drawing from anywhere else to test your QCAD software.

2. Here is a DXF to DWG converter that advertises to work without AutoCAD for a trial period.
   http://www.anydwg.com/dwg-dxf/
      You should be able to evaluate within the alloted 15 uses.
There are other converters available.
  http://lx-viewer.sourceforge.net/

> Now how about my stock calculation program - Windows only.
> or
> Finance programs - something like Timberline.
> and a hundred others. Windows only.
>
> That is the problem!

Other than Windows emulation, it is a problem that will persist until more Open Source developers are motivated toward developing more public relations savy. Until then...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

At least the "Lotus Symphony Office Suite" was not called the "Letus $iphonmoney Office Suite".

/robin