Re: [SLUG] one laptop per child

From: Anthony DiPierro (slug@inbox.org)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2007 - 13:03:23 EST

On Nov 13, 2007 10:31 AM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
> Looks like USB, SD/MMC, and Wifi are the only ways to get data _out_ of it.
> Is that correct?

There's a display and speakers :).

> Very low-end, but what do you expect for $200?

If my (one-year old) son was a few years older (maybe 5) I'd get him
one, not for the power or the price but supposedly it's very durable
and low power consuming. The mesh networking would be great if we
could somehow get a critical mass of users, but I don't see that
happening any time soon here in the US. Hopefully in a few years the
technology (especially battery life and durability) will be more
proven and the price lower.

AFAIK there's no competition for it in terms of a programmable laptop
geared toward children, at $200 or at any other price. All the other
child-geared laptops I've seen run special-purpose software. Maybe
there isn't enough of a market for it. Or maybe Windows will get into
the market after OLPC proves itself.