Re: [SLUG] OOM?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2007 - 13:46:24 EST

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2007 2:09 AM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey folks. I got intrigued at my browser windows (and who knows what
>> else) disappearing two nights in a row, so I went looking. Turns out
>> this:

[OOM message]

>> and it goes on and on for 178298 lines, with the OOM-killer invoked 58
>> times by 8 different processes. All within 1 second after 4:00:15.

> Presumably during your backup the kernel allocates more of the free RAM for
> buffer/cache. Maybe that coupled with a "buggy" webpage with circular
> javascript/DOM references that hinders normal garbage collection is why
> firefox gets the axe?

FF really shouldn't be involved, as the backup reads /dev/hda not every file
in /dev/hadN.

> Still I wouldn't think think that Linux would steal so much for
> buffer/cache that it hurt the apps.

Oh, like that. Yeah, it didn't have a problem a month ago. Could be
though; maybe I have a buggy window open. However, I tend to think it's
related to dd's massively increasing memory use.

> You should really see better performance with dd rather than cat. Specify a
> dd blocksize that is a multiple of the device's blocksize and my guess is
> your backups will run faster and with less memory issues. It's what dd is
> designed to do... cat is too dumb to expect anything more than being
> functional.

I do... dd's block size varies from 1 KB to 512 MB in powers of two. Best
results (almost 40 MB/s) are 2^4 KB - 2^16 KB (16 KB - 64 MB).

> OOM-killer hits the non-root big-memory users first.

OK, good, then decreasing memory footprint and running things as root are
ways to increase my chances of surviving the memory crunch.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the