Re: [SLUG] SCSI

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2007 - 23:54:43 EST

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, xcalibre wrote:

> Eben King wrote on Dec 5, 2007
>>
>> My SCSI card died (I think). It's an Adaptec 2940 UW. It was nice, but is
>> overkill for my needs -- all I need to run are a tape drive (50-pin ribbon,
>> but I rarely use it), scanner (natively DB25, but 50- or 68-pin is easy to
>> do through an adapter, and a hard drive (external; Centronics 50 natively,
>> but 68 is doable; it's only going to be on there until it works). PCIe
>> would be nice, but PCI is OK. I mean, the existing card is PCI.
>>
>> Obviously I'm not a demanding user. Nor do I know a lot about SCSI. What
>> cards are halfway decent? Newegg wants to charge me $100 and up.

> Try E-bay... Make sure the person has a high rating...

I found one there for $3 + $5.xx S&H. It ends in 6 days, and there's no
"buy it now" option. Which turned out to be a good thing.

In the (at least) 6 days I knew I would have, I tried again. The tape
drive's not connected, which explains why I could not see it on the bus.
The scanner's connected but has no power, which explains why I could not
make it work. The hard drive, well, I just had to rmmod/modprobe the SCSI
card module, and lo and behold, sde appears. Right now "dd if=/dev/sde
bs=16k | bzip2smp -v > /mnt/torrent/mac-hd.img.bz2" is running, then I can
wipe the hard drive. 'Twould have been nice if I'd rebooted to
enable Mac partition support, but it can wait. Thanks.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

And we never failed to fail / It was the easiest thing to do -- CSN