Re: [SLUG] Nokia N810 Fun

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2008 - 01:19:30 EST

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Chuck Hast wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2007 7:31 PM, Levi Bard
> <taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It is a micro-computer, here is a site that describes the machine and some
>>> hacks to make it even more useful:
>>>
>>> http://www.arachnoid.com/linux/nokia/index.html
>>
>> I take it you've discovered http://downloads.maemo.org and
>> http://www.internettablettalk.com ?
>>
> Oh yes. indeed the arachnoid site was where I started. I have pulled a load
> of stuff off of the maemo site and gone through the internettablettalk site.
>
> I guess the one thing I have not been able to do is get the static IP to work
> The plant where I do work in Mexico uses static IP's on the whole network
> and so I went in and gave it the IP they gave me, unchecked the get IP
> automatically box, but it still tries to get a dhcp assignment which in this
> case is sort of like milking a bull... All else appears to work just fine.

I rigged my router to associate an address with each MAC; so in effect, each
device has a static address, and each device uses DHCP. Maybe you can run a
DHCP server (on e.g. your laptop) that does the same?

--
"On two occasions I have been asked, -- 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put
into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?'