Re: [SLUG] Nokia N810 Fun

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2008 - 11:01:14 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008 1:19 AM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2007, Chuck Hast wrote:

>>> Oh yes. indeed the arachnoid site was where I started. I have pulled a load
>>> of stuff off of the maemo site and gone through the internettablettalk site.
>>>
>>> I guess the one thing I have not been able to do is get the static IP to work
>>> The plant where I do work in Mexico uses static IP's on the whole network
>>> and so I went in and gave it the IP they gave me, unchecked the get IP
>>> automatically box, but it still tries to get a dhcp assignment which in this
>>> case is sort of like milking a bull... All else appears to work just fine.
>>>
>> I rigged my router to associate an address with each MAC; so in effect, each
>> device has a static address, and each device uses DHCP. Maybe you can run a
>> DHCP server (on e.g. your laptop) that does the same?
>>

> I wish, this laptop is a corporate one and it is hard enough to get them to
> let me put things I need for day to day work on it. I am not sure why the
> n810 does not do static IP, I see people talk about it working, just did not
> work in my case.

I like Eben's nifty idea, some DHCPd that would only listen to certain
MAC addresses. However, it seems that the N810 makes a positive
business case. I'd say it qualifies for a variance. I would make the
attempt at bringing the technology to the table for discussion. In
fact, I would even pitch they pay for the device. Sounds like the tool
saves you quite a bit of walking time and accelerates the resolution to
production line problems. Regardless it being Windows or Linux, it
simply saves the company money, which allows them to leverage more for
profit. You may find yourself the pioneer with others doing the same at
your workplace in the near future.

/mario