[SLUG] Desktop Cam Background script

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2008 - 07:59:12 EST

Hi,

Over new year I amused myself by writing a script that pulls in images from
some 50+ web cams around the world, and displays them as the background.

It is rather flexible and can run in a time zone mode where it only displays
cams that are in daylight, loop on any particular state or country (each
state and country has it's own map file), and it can loop on any one cam that
you find interesting. Of course you can remove anyone you don't like and add
new ones.

It runs both in a daemon mode and in the foreground. It checks the config file
between each image so you can make it loop on something you find interesting.

It is written to make it easy to debug your selection so that you can easily
tell which cam might be a problem.

The way it works under KDE is that you start the background feature called
slideshow. Then set it to display the image from the script. I have it point
to the same image twice but it might work on only one pointer.

The script does not have any user adjustable values, they are all in the
config file. If you run it in the foreground to start with then you can see
how it works by using Debug=D. Otherwise you turn off debug and run it as a
daemon.

I have not really had time to fully test the install and rc scripts so I'm
looking for some volunteers before I sign off on it and make it a public
tool.

It was built on a Debian system but should detect RH based systems too.
Anyone interested please contact me here.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.