Re: [SLUG] hardware ? and Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 12:44:54 EST

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Chris Mathey wrote:

> William Coulter wrote:
>> I am looking into building another PC. I think that my PC is dieing and I
>> want a working one before it finally dies. I see all these intel duo and
>> quad CPUs. Are they 64bit processors? Is that what you are going to buy
>> these days? As you can tell, I haven't bought a PC in years. Is 64bit
>> Linux mature enough for an install and run? What do you recommend: intel
>> or AMD? Please no flames here. I have seen some
> Yes, you can run a64 bit OS on either current Intel Core Duo (and others) or
> AMD Athlon 64 FX or Opteron.
>
> Personally, I run 32bit OS on all my capable 64but CPU's (workstations). I
> don't run any software that can take advantage. As far as OS experience I
> found no better performance with a 64bit OS, only driver headaches. Currently
> 64bit driver support has greatly improved however.
> YMMV, give it a shot though if you like, you probably won't have issues with
> a 64bit OS.

I couldn't get a 64-bit installer to run. Probably a problem with my
graphics card. I guess when this installation gets too annoying and I have
to reinstall _something_ I'll try again.

>> Motherboards with Nvida SLI chip sets on board. What is it? Is it a video
>> card? Does it work with Linux?
>
> SLI is running 2 video cards in parallel for increased frame rates. High end
> gaming on high resolution monitors is the candidate for this set up.
> And yes you can run SLI under linux with the NVIDIA drivers "out of the box".
> SLI seems to have more support under AMD CPU/Mobo combo's.

My motherboard supports SLi (two PCIe x16 slots) but my graphics card
(Geforce 7600, no fan) doesn't.

>> I would like to run 8gigs of RAM, but not right now. I will be making it
>> my expansion buy for next year. I want to be able to run some
>> virtualization of XP so I can play games and virtualize other Linux's for
>> learning.
>
> VMWARE server runs great under linux and it's free!

And, you can run 32b Linux in a VMware window where the host OS is 64b
Linux, for apps that absolutely require 32b Linux.

> There are OSS virtualization projects, however VMWARE server
> is the most polished and easy to use. Performance is almost native.
> I run vmware workstation 6.0 and absolutely love the dual monitor support for
> VM's

Oh good. Monitor #2 is "out for delivery" right now. Woohoo.

>> PS. what is bad, is the fact that I used to know this kind of stuff like
>> the back of my hand.
> Me too! It had been a good 3-4 years before I build my last workstation so I
> had to relearn just about everything.
> I currently have my E6750 Conroe (2.66GHz) running @ 3.66GHz rock stable
> on air cooling.

Every time I have to buy a component, I learn the pros and cons of that
subsystem. Next one, I start from ground zero. Biggest buy I did recently
was mobo, CPU, mem, vid, PS. Kept kb, mouse, case, drives, mon, spkrs.

> Buy the best power supply you can afford.

Check out the user comments on quietpcusa.com for any considered component
if that's important to you.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
AQUARIUS:  There's travel in your future when your tongue freezes to the