Re: [SLUG] segfault? missing library?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2008 - 22:33:18 EST

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Matthew Rogers wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> Hi folks. Ever since I rebooted Sat Jan 12 03:36, stuff has been
>> segfaulting -- nvidia-settings, mplayer, Open Office. Probably some more
>> that I haven't found yet. What I _have_ found is that those three all use
>> a particular library:
>>
>> linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
>>
>> There's no pathname, but there is that hex number (what is that anyhow?).
>> I can't find that file on any of my three boxes. Does anyone have it?
>> Where do I get it? Why did things break? It's the first lib listed in
>> ldd's output. Did I catch some bizarre virus?
>
> ,--
> | What is linux-gate.so.1?
> | it's a virtual DSO, a shared object
> | exposed by the kernel at a fixed address in every process' memory:
> '--

Ah good, thanks, it's supposed to be there. Any idea why these apps started
acting up approximately simultaneously? I don't see what they have in
common. OK, nvidia-settings and mplayer are both heavily related to X (from
different sides), but OOo?

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
       If you need someone to blame