Re: [SLUG] hardware ? and Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2008 - 11:41:55 EST

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, William Coulter wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2008 12:09 PM, Chris Mathey <slug@mathey.org> wrote:
>
>> I second that. 420W in the Apevia is not enough.
>> Second to cheap ram, cheap power supplies are a major cause of system
>> instability. Apevia power supplies are known to be sub-par. I personally
>> burned out a lightly loaded Apevia power supply in 6 months (on clean
>> APC UPS power)
>>
>> Check power supply efficiency ratings. Low efficiency ratings =
>> electricity wasted and more heat. Shoot for > 80%

> I have to cut some cost some way. I chose A-Data because I saw reviewers
> with the same brand of RAM using the Motherboard. What Geil or Corsair?
>
> GeIL Value Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144064
>
> CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145176

Both have rebates, and the Geil is $15 cheaper after its. If that isn't a
big deal, then I vote for the Corsair, because it's "famous name" memory.
What I'd probably get is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134193

When I bought my stuff, I got Mushkin, but it was 2*1GB, which is not what
you want.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81
LEO:  Now is not a good time to photocopy your butt and staple it