Re: [SLUG] new (to me) printer

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 14:33:13 EST

On Thursday 31 January 2008, Eben King wrote:
> Any help or pointers are appreciated. "RTFM", only if you point to the FM
> as well.

Usually CUPS will select the best driver. There are a couple of different
print driver groups that makes drivers. Gutenprint, GIMP and Foomatic are the
top ones I think.

Honestly, being that is such an old printer I think you may be better off to
invest $25-50 and buy a 2nd hand one. Look at eBay and buy with Paypal so
that you can get a refund if needed.

Some companies more or less give away brand new printers just to hook you on
their ink. The way around that is to buy the ink online. I paid pennies on
the dollar for ink for my Epson. I think I paid some $20 for two whole sets,
or 10 cartridges. Then get a $5 ink cartridge reset tool from (typically)
China which will "recover" 30% of the would be unused ink from when it
says "empty".

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.