Re: [SLUG] slow newsgroup access

From: Dylan William Hardison (dylan@hardison.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 10:13:51 EST

Spake Eben King on Thursday, February 07, 2008 at 12:21AM -0500:
> I run my own news server with leafnode. As Usenet has gotten busier, I now
> have over 74K files in /var/spool/news/alt/fan/cecil-adams . leafnode
> doesn't deal with this well at all; a.f.c-a takes 1:50 to open, during
> which time leafnode uses 97%+ (of one CPU, it's single-threaded) and trn
> just sits there; the progress meter then takes a second or two to go from 0
> to 100%. I already have the news spool directory (ext3) mounted noatime.
> Is there a faster filesystem, or some option I can give to leafnode, or is
> it that leafnode just doesn't scale well and I should lower the retention
> time?

One of the design constraints of reiserfs was to handle many many small files,
which makes it well suited for mail- and news-servers...

--
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman
Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church,