Re: [SLUG] slowdown

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 12:29:17 EST

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Matthew Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 11:26 -0500, Eben King wrote:

>>> sar 5 5
>>
>> eben@pc:~$ sar 5 5
>> -bash: sar: command not found
>>
>>> will give all sort of information. Sounds like you are rooted and have
>>> become a spam bot.

> How does the system PERFORM when you turn off the bittorrent client?

(There are three running really, but two are idle.)

Well, the number of connections in CLOSE_WAIT or LAST_ACK drops from 17-18
to 6. CPU speed stays up. I found the delay in a terminal starting was not
from bash itself ("bash -c exit" takes around 0.002s) and not from rxvt (the
window pops up right away), so it must be from rxvt figuring out what to do.
That still happens. (How do I measure that? "time rxvt -e bash -c exit"
gives an unkillable process.)

> Your initial problem was performance.

Still is really. I'm just trying to figure out what's causing it, or
failing that, which subsystem's affected so I know where to look.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
A. A Top Poster                       \  http://www.fscked.co.uk/