Re: [SLUG] slowdown

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 15:36:24 EST

On Tuesday 12 February 2008, Matthew Rogers wrote:
> Torrents can crash network cards/routers with ease. I had buy a new
> intel hardware nic since my onboard NFORCE nick would run slow or crash
> when running torrents. Also, I've had to reboot my router if I do more
> than 4-5 torrents (it's crashes the router!)

Mmm. That was not the fault of the torrent, that was bad h/w.

Using a torrent or any other protocol will not kill a NIC, unless the NIC is
not solid and ready to die anyway. Unlike monitors where the wrong refresh
rate could burn it out prematurely, there is no such condition with NICs.

Good NICs almost never die whatever you do to them. Well, provided the power
is within range.

Having to reboot the router is probably due to not enough cache.

I only buy 3COM NICs and I don't mean the newer outsourced NICs that are
priced to compete with the low range stuff out there. They come with lifetime
warranty for a good reason.

The firewall/router is a computer running OpenBSD, which enjoys the traffic of
several music streams, bittorrents, VoIP calls, ssh sessions, web and mail
sessions 24/7. Going on some nine years. Oh, and VNC.

Suppose you can throw in the stream of hack attempts on top of that, and the
never ending scanning of all IP's that RR does.

The external NIC gets a nonstop workout.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.