Re: [SLUG] slowdown

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2008 - 18:30:25 EST

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008, steve szmidt wrote:

> On Friday 15 February 2008, Eben King wrote:
>> OK. I killed all daemons with open ports (using /etc/init.d/* so they come
>> up nicely), and there's still some network traffic, not much, but a little.
>> It is inbound in bursts, around 700-750 bytes every ~10 seconds (on
>> gkrellm's strip chart they're always the same size and very regular; the
>> uncertainty is mine). No idea what they're from -- a SMB client looking
>> for its server? Hang on, I'll go shut down the XP box... nope, still here,
>> same size. Put the laptop to sleep? Nope, not it. Maybe the router?
>
> It's common for providers like RR to continuously ping all IP's to make sure
> none is in use that should not be. You can run tcpdump -nn to see which port
> they are on.

Tough for $ISP to ping a NATted machine...

> Did you try taking down X windows?

Log out of X, log back in: no change.
Log out of X, zap X (/etc/init.d/gdm restarts it), log in: no change.
Log out of X, /etc/init.d/gdm stop, reload driver, /etc/init.d/gdm start,
log in:

root@pc:~# runlevel
unknown

That can't be good. Lemme reboot.
eben@pc:~$ time xterm -e bash -c exit

real 0m0.019s
user 0m0.013s
sys 0m0.005s

Much better. So something in /sbin or the VFS subsystem got honked up.
Good; I was kinda worried that the "unknown runlevel" was going to turn into
a symptom of filesystem damage, and that my backup had bad files in it.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.