Re: [SLUG] FiOS and Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2008 - 13:00:10 EST

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Rich Morgan wrote:

> Greg wrote:
>> The only thing I can tell ya is that don't plan on running a httpd on
>> port 80 unless you have their $99 business static-ip plan, they block
>> that port on all other plans. Other than that I haven't had any issues
>> with FiOS and Linux so far.
>
> Ok, thanks Greg. I'm not running any servers out of this location
> anymore, but are there any other ports blocked or traffic filtered that
> I need to be aware of? Bittorrent and Skype ok?

BT works. We only tried Skype locally (in-house), so no comment on that.
During the install I needed to run an ActiveX control to set things up, but
since I had an XP laptop, I didn't look for a workaround. Had I not had
that, I would've used IE-in-XP-in-VMware. Webservers work if you can change
to port 81 or have the router do it for you (with appropriate modifications
to your URL). Back when I was with RR, I set up something on RR's official
webserver where it would redirect the user automatically to my address.
Port 22 works, but I don't use that anymore (too many hack attempts).

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    royalty.mine.nu:81
        http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html