Re: [SLUG] FiOS and Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 09:21:00 EST

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Anthony DiPierro wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 11:51 AM, Rich Morgan <rmorgan@heavysystems.com> wrote:
>> Hey slug'ers, quick question for anyone who has FiOS: Any caveats that
>> I need to watch out for when the installers are setting me up? My
>> install is scheduled for Friday and I wanted to get any Linux-specific
>> install advice/pitfalls from any slug member who has already gone
>> through the process.
>>
> Just make sure you understand what's written on that paper they make
> you sign saying that they did the install. The ass that did my
> install billed me for a bunch of stuff that he didn't do, probably
> because I insisted that he run ethernet cable all the way around the
> house to the home office, rather than put the router in my son's
> bedroom and then use a wireless bridge to the home office.
>
> And try to get the password to the router. I eventually figured it
> out, but it took me a while, and I'm not sure they use the same
> password any more ("password1").

I set mine, so naturally I have it. I've changed the setup many times,
what with static-address DHCP for common machines.

What I wonder about is how to get into the "tech mode" on the set-top box
(Motorola QIP2500-3). I saw the tech do it, and asked him at the time, but
apparently misheard. Hold down some key on the remote while you power on.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
GEMINI:  Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive