Re: [SLUG] cups

From: Robin - Bartow FL (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2008 - 21:28:45 EST

> This is Linux not windows. Rebooting a machine is rarely necessary.
> /etc/init.d/cups restart is virtually the sames thing.

Reseting or initializing some of todays hardware can be peculiar.
Most often it is a totally separated process from the PC and OS.
HP tech support required me to unplug my printer power cord.
Turning my HP PSC 1350 off and back on was not sufficient.

Remember some of the old win modems that would not reset via
a warm boot? Sometimes they had to go all the way down to a cold boot!

>> http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/inkjet_aio.html

Find "PSC 1310" in the first column.
Directly to the right, the word "no" appears in the fifth column.
Then read note #1 at the bottom of the page.
Then read the HPLIP FAQs and you will find that initializing CUPS
may have little effect on HPLIP and the onboard printer ICs.

If you boot to a live CD and no HP printer is powered up, connected,
and detected, well maybe HAL can fix it for you later if your USB ports
are all hunky dory.

Yes, I confess, I use a mouse, and I like to watch the green (or red)
text scroll by at boot. My technical self-esteem is plummeting.