Re: [SLUG] console wackiness

From: Robin - Bartow FL (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 08:08:13 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: Eben King eben01@verizon.net
Sent: 2/27/08 3:47 PM
Subject: [SLUG] console wackiness

> Hey folks. Whenever I go to text mode (beside or without X, not a terminal
> emulator), the bottom 4-5 lines is cut off. The text area is normally
> sized, just the "virtual screen" extends several lines below my
> physical screen. If I run "/etc/init.d/console-screen.sh" the letters
> become smaller and everything is visibile. The right monitor shows
> garbage at that point, but that's a small price to pay for being able
> to see everything.
>
> Why doesn't this work at boot time? What can I do to correct it?

My path would be

Remove the second video adapter and see if it makes a
difference on the first. BIOS may be confused by 2.

If possible, substitute a set of matching video adapters and
monitors. Otherwise, swap components around for process of elimination.

In X, try remarking out "all" high and low resolutions that you
dont use. That may make a difference on the second monitor in the
event of an "out of range" condition.

/robin