Re: [SLUG] console wackiness

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 20:20:54 EST

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, logan wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 15:43 -0500, Eben King wrote:
>> Hey folks. Whenever I go to text mode (beside or without X, not a terminal
>> emulator), the bottom 4-5 lines is cut off. The text area is normally
>> sized, just the "virtual screen" extends several lines below my
>> physical screen. If I run "/etc/init.d/console-screen.sh" the letters
>> become smaller and everything is visibile. The right monitor shows
>> garbage at that point, but that's a small price to pay for being able
>> to see everything.
>>
>> Why doesn't this work at boot time? What can I do to correct it?
>>

> Maybe it isn't firing off the /etc/init.d/console-screen.sh based on the
> system runlevel you use to start the machine. I don't know what distro
> you are using, but on my Debian boxes I can adjust what starts and stops
> with update-rc.d

eben@pc:~$ ls -l /etc/rc?.d/???console*
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jan 30 2006 /etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh ->
../init.d/console-screen.sh*

What's "rcS" do?

Actually, I had a thought. Maybe it _is_ doing the right thing normally,
just gdm's running later and doing the wrong thing (e.g. assuming 25 (24?)
lines -- incorrectly -- and choosing a font that fits on that)?

--
-eben    QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP    http://royalty.mine.nu:81
SAGITTARIUS:  All your friends are laughing behind your back... kill