Re: [SLUG] console wackiness

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 23:00:54 EST

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:20:54PM -0500, Eben King wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, logan wrote:
>>

>> eben@pc:~$ ls -l /etc/rc?.d/???console*
>> 0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 27 Jan 30 2006 /etc/rcS.d/S48console-screen.sh
>> ->
>> ../init.d/console-screen.sh*
>>
>> What's "rcS" do?
>
> rcS is single-user startup. Check your /etc/inittab file, which should
> indicate what your default runlevel is. Then check the /etc/rcX.d
> directory (X being the default runlevel) to see if there is a link to
> your script in that directory.

Nope, that command lists any start/kill links in any /etc/rc?.d directory.
I'll have a word with update-rc.d ... done. I'll see how it goes at next
boot (probably next year).

>> Actually, I had a thought. Maybe it _is_ doing the right thing normally,
>> just gdm's running later and doing the wrong thing (e.g. assuming 25 (24?)
>> lines -- incorrectly -- and choosing a font that fits on that)?
>
> That doesn't seem right. A console is standardly 25x80.

By default 25x80, yes. But your bootloader lets you choose any mode your
video card supports. For instance, I put

vga=ask

in /etc/lilo.conf, run lilo, reboot, and it prompts me with something like

Select video mode, or press ENTER for "scan".
0 80x25
1 80x50
2 80x43
3 80x28
4 80x30
5 80x34
6 80x60

I just checked mine, and it says "vga=4" -> 80x30. You can put unlisted
numbers in there (like 900-something) but I don't know how to find out what
does what other than trial and error.

> Are you by chance running a framebuffer console?

Not sure. How do I tell? There's no Tux on the console, but that's
optional.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
      If you need someone to blame