RE: [SLUG] console wackiness

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sat Mar 01 2008 - 19:18:31 EST

>> Whenever I go to text mode (beside or without X, not a terminal
emulator), the bottom 4-5 lines is cut off.

Sounds like your would be in 640 x 480 VGA mode, and your monitor needs the
vertical size adjusted.

In the old days, monitors were single sync and would only work on a single
resolution. Then NEC created the MultiSync, which would look at the
incoming signal and switch between different sets of settings for different
resolutions. You had to make adjustments for each video mode (resolution).
You'd put the video in 640 x480 and set the horizontal and vertical size
(and centering). You'd repeat the process for each mode, such as 1024 x768
for X Windows.

So I bet you need to set the horizontal and vertical controls on your
MONITOR for your GUI, but not for 640x480 text mode. Give it a try. Your
monitor should be smart enough to keep separate settings for text and
graphics modes.

Ken Elliott