Re: [SLUG] VNC question

From: Matthew Rogers (matt@runithard.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 12:30:00 EST

If you use SSH....

LOCAL PORT: TARGET HOST(CAN BE A DIFF MACHINE ON THE NETWORK) : TARGET
HOST PORT

ssh -L 5555:localhost:5900 whoever@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

and then VNC to 127.0.0.01:5555 you can tunnel your VNC over ssh @ 256
bit encryption. That's what I do for RDP(port 3389) and VNC. I don't
like risking losing my logins and even with RDP 48bit encryption is
better than plain text but it's still kinda smelly.

If you REALLY want to get crazy throw a -C in there to turn on
compression and you should see better performance on a tight bandwidth
connection.

FYI: Change Halt at work today.... bored, heh ;-)

--Matthew Rogers