Re: [SLUG] dual monitors in X

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 13:07:47 EST

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Matthew Rogers wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> OK, my two monitors (one DVI, one VGA) work fine hanging off one card.
>> Everything seems hunky-dory EXCEPT the left monitor (DVI, X monitor #1 I
>> think) doesn't participate in xscreensaver's displays. It goes black (and
>> not a fade like the other one either) and stays that way. I've tried both
>> Twinview alone, and with Xinerama added (I think that's what it is;
>> nvidia-settings was involved), same deal. (Philosophically, I prefer
>> Xinerama alone, because if I change video card brands, it still works.)
>> It doesn't do that. What did I do wrong?

> I've had LOTS of issues running 2 monitors. I've used NVIDIAS settings tool
> which made enabling the both a snap but I couldn't have one with a 16/9 and
> another with 4/3 aspect ratio. So obviously, running a 16/9 1680x1050 monitor
> at 1280x1024 looked like garbage so I chucked the old 17 inch and went
> exclusively to this 22 inch @ 1680x1050.
>
> Are both of your monitors the same aspect ratio?

Yup, both 1600x1200.

> BTW, I didn't get the screen
> saver to work either, I just set power management to power them down after 11
> minutes and it worked on both. I figured the LCD backlight only has so many
> hours of life, your better off just to shut it off.

Yeah, it does that. It would just be neat to have xscreensaver work the way
it says it will.

BTW, I tweaked /etc/X11/xorg.conf. In the process of de-generifying the
Identifers, I discovered that there are two video cards defined:

Section "Device"
     Identifier "Geforce7600" # originally "Videocard0"
     Driver "nvidia"
     VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName "GeForce 7600 GS"
     BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
     Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
     Identifier "Videocard1"
     Driver "nvidia"
     VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
     BoardName "GeForce 7600 GS"
     BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
     Screen 1
EndSection

There's really only one video card. Is there some way to combine these? I
have a sneaking suspicion that's related to xscreensaver's problem.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
CAPRICORN:  The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person... but