Re: [SLUG] Looking for a way (that works) to back up entire system

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 21:45:19 EST

On Monday 03 March 2008, Eben King wrote:

> > I never back up the whole thing as it's too easy to just reinstall from
> > scratch.

> Don't you have data you'd like to keep?

Of course, and I use rsync for that.

> > On windows it takes a really long time to get back to where you were, but
> > in Linux the install is fast.
>
> If you do the installation, sure. Anc "fast" is relative. But they take
> the same time if you do "dd".

Yes it's relative, which I say it's fast. You look at a system going down with
a failed drive. You are never going to recover in 5 minutes.

Of course with some stuff you can just leave the data on a server and you are
back up after the same failure inside 15-30 minutes.

> > I looked on how often I loose drives vs how much
> > it "cost" to backup everything.
>
> Costs me nothing as I do the backup when I'm sleeping anyhow.

Sure it does. It always costs you space and wear and tear. Plus more
electricity. Which is what I mean by cost.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.