[SLUG] sources.list messed up?

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 05 2008 - 17:16:45 EST

Hey folks. My sources.list is messed up I think. Here's what happened:

I ran aptitude as I always do, by "sudo aptitude". I told it to "update
package list" (u). Every line listed was either green (and said [IGNORED])
or red (and gave me a 404 error). Very festive, but nothing happened -- at
the end it told me "Downloaded 0B in 1s".

So I went to
http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu-edgy-eft-complete-sourceslist-repository-list-file.html
(assuminv I had 6.10 "Edgy Eft" -- how do I find out for sure?) and grabbed
that one (minus the things that didn't belong). Backed up my old
sources.list, put that in, fired up aptitude again, and did "refresh package
list". It actually downloaded stuff (which is good), but then failed:

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing kpresenter (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/kubuntu.org_packages_koffice-latest_dists_edgy_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Where is it running out of room? I checked "df"'s output during the update,
and didn't see any filesystem get close to zero. (/var is on / which has
~1.5 GB free.) Likewise with "free", memory was fine. "Dynamic MMap"
sounds like it's a data structure in memory, not something on disk, maybe an
array or buffer filling up.

I can just eliminate that source, since I don't see myself changing to
kubuntu.

Tried that, then another one was the problem, so I commented out that one,
and that went on until aptitude said the error was

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occurred while processing kino (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

No idea what "kino" is other than a movie player I don't have.

Help?

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
GEMINI:  Your birthday party will be ruined once again by your explosive