[SLUG] errors configuring wlan0 with iwconfig in Debian Etch

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2008 - 15:36:56 EST

I'm doing this in Debian Etch:
iwconfig wlan0 mode managed commit

yet I'm getting:
Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

I've also populated /etc/network/interfaces with specs from
/usr/share/doc/wireless-tools/README.Debian and I've run "ifup wlan0"
with similar results. I have the D-Link DWL-520 card. I realize there
are later revisions ("C" and after) that aren't the Prism 2.5 chipset,
but lspci reveals:
00:08.0 Network controller: Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan
chipset (rev 01)

and respective drivers:
orinoco_pci 6656 0
orinoco 34580 1 orinoco_pci
hermes 7040 2 orinoco_pci,orinoco

I just want to attach this desktop station to the wireless router. What
am I doing wrong?

/mario