Re: [SLUG] newsreaders

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2008 - 17:25:42 EST

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:08:34PM -0400, Eben King wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Matthew Rogers wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you need to
>>
>> apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>>
>> before you
>>
>> apt-get install pan
>
> Did that. Same song, second verse:
>
> root@pc:~# apt-get install pan
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done

<snip> of list

> 79 upgraded, 42 newly installed, 58 to remove and 773 not upgraded.
> Need to get 61.8MB of archives.
> After unpacking 52.6MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
>
> I ^C-ed it.

In many cases, Debian et al, reconfigure packages, obsoleting packages,
but replacing them with equivalent functionality. For example, in the
cupsys stuff above. Cupsys itself goes away, but cupsys-client,
cupsys-common are added instead. It's probably a wash-- just
Debian/Ubuntu realigning packages with a different scheme. It doesn't
look like you're losing fetchmail, just fetchmailconf, which isn't a
loss. You do lose synaptic, but I'm guessing that after this evolution,
you can get it back.

Also, with all due respect to others' opinions, I would never run
apt-get upgrade unless you just want a challenge which breaks most of
the software on your box. That can happen with "upgrade". "Update" is
different, and just refreshes your repository records.

Just keep track of what packages you *really* want. Once you
update/upgrade, go back to aptitude or synaptic and see if they're still
installed or upgradable, etc.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster