Re: [SLUG] ubuntu ERROR 15

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2008 - 04:55:38 EST

Eben King wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Paderick Lundy wrote:
>
>> I loaded Ubuntu server Ubuntu 7.10 and upon the mandatory reboot after
>> installation I received the following message. "GRUB loading, please
>> wait..." followed by ERROR 15.
>>
>> I then downloaded and installed the desktop version and got the same
>> results. If there is a problem I suspect it might have something to
>> do with
>> the SATA HD's.
>>
>> Would someone be so kind as to direct me to the list that tells me what
>> these error numbers mean?
>
> http://www.uruk.org/orig-grub/errors.html
>
> It looks like 15 means
>
> ,--
> | "Error while parsing number"
> | This error is returned if GRUB was expecting to read a numbur and |
> encountered bad data.
> '--
>
> which isn't very helpful. Googling for |grub "error 15"| got me about
> 30K hits, but as I don't speak grub they weren't very helpful. Sorry.
>
>> I haven't loaded Linux since Suse 5.3 and I thought I'd get back in
>> the swing of it.
>
> It misses you too.

Maybe this can give you more resolution. It's the official GRUB site.
Hmm didn't know GNU was moving to GRUB2.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Stage2-errors.html#Stage2-errors

"15 : File not found
This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found, but
everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK."

I'd say you need to invoke GRUB properly. The manual should tell you
more, but off the top of my head, it's something like grub-install or
grubby. I don't remember. Either way, you may need to do more than
just run it. Although that usually does the trick, it may need a little
more help with your configuration.

/mario