Re: [SLUG] firefox windows

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 14:41:12 EST

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Eben King wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, ronan wrote:
>
>> Eben King wrote:
>>> I have the Sessionsaver (version 0.2 d1 nightly 31) plugin to Firefox 1.5.
>>> Every time I start FF (which is every time I exit X, plus every time it
>>> crashes), maybe 1/3 the windows are visible and the rest are off one end
>>> or the other of my virtual desktops (there are 10 of them in a row). For
>>> the most part, I can just go to the rightmost desktop and pick any window
>>> with a positive X-coordinate, and it is moved to (0,0). Similar for the
>>> other end, with s/right/left/ and s/posi/nega/ . Occasionally one will get
>>> "stuck" and I have to use FvwmConsole.
>>>
>> Perhaps you have two different versions of FireFox installed? Apt might
>> have installed v2.0 in /opt or somewhere, while you manually installed v1.5
>> in /usr (or somewhere)? You can try "locate firefox/firefox" (looking for a
>> firefox executable inside a directory named "firefox").
>
> Indeed:
>
> eben@pc:~$ locate firefox/firefox
> /usr/share/firefox/firefox-restart-required.update-notifier
> /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
> /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-xremote-client
> /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin
> /usr/lib/firefox/firefox.cfg
> /etc/firefox/firefoxrc
> /opt/firefox/firefox-bin
> /opt/firefox/firefox
>
> eben@pc:~$ du -sh /usr/lib/firefox/ /opt/firefox/
> 20M /usr/lib/firefox/
> 22M /opt/firefox/
>
> What would I lose if I did "rm -r /usr/lib/firefox/"? Actually, I might try
> "mv /usr/lib/firefox /usr/lib/firefox.old" and see how that goes first.

Nope, didn't do it (the mv, not the rm). FF still says it's 1.5. What does
that directory do, then? Maybe FF memorizes its inode number, but that'd be
silly... what if it's on some non-local file system, or you restore it from
backup when it's down?

--
"On two occasions I have been asked, -- 'Pray, Mr Babbage, if you put
into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?'