Re: [SLUG] Copying and booting linux with a partition with a different filesystem type

From: Donald E Haselwood (dhaselwood@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2008 - 11:16:15 EST

On Sunday 30 March 2008 11:11:29 pm Dylan William Hardison wrote:
> Spake Paul M Foster on Sunday, March 30, 2008 at 10:54PM -0400:
> > telling your kernel the wrong filesystem type. I believe the bootloader
> > has to know what type of filesystem to load (I don't believe it
> > autodetects it), and it loads or tells the kernel to load the proper
> > driver for it.
> >
> > I really think it's that simple. If someone else knows more than I do
> > about this, please speak up.
>
> Yes, sort of.
>
> Grub needs the proper stage file for the filesystem
> (/boot/grub/${FS_TYPE}_stage1_5), but it infers the filesystem type.
> The kernel further infers the type of the root partition -- I think --
> and other information comes from /etc/fstab.
>

> I have switched from IDE to SATA, and to do this simply required copying
> from the IDE harddrive to the SATA and editing

Was the SATA filesystem the same as the one on the IDE?

I have been successful in copying from sdb2 to sdc3, adding an entry to grub
with Yast running on the sdb2 system, changing fstab on sdc3, then booting.
Works as long as the filesystems are the same.

> /etc/fstab to say "/dev/sda[123]" instead of "/dev/hda[123]", and running
> grub-install on the new drive: (assuming /dev/sda1 is mounted to /mnt,
> run grub-install /mnt).

Maybe running grub-install on the new drive is the answer (though I don't see
why).

Don