[SLUG] CD-playing pseudo-stereo

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Apr 17 2008 - 20:17:10 EDT

I have a bunch of CDs (music, not money), and I'm going to inherit more (um,
yippee, sorta). I have a 200-disc carousel, and it's full. So what do you
folks recommend? I can keep on buying carousels (those that daisy-chain
this time), or I can rip all the CDs into MP3 or ogg and build a Via-based
machine to play them that has:

a solid-state hard drive or three (I sleep in there, so noise is bad, mmmkay?)
a reasonably pretty interface
a halfway decent sound card (it's going to an amp, so one headphone output
is all I need)

I'm ripping a test CD into VBR MP3 at (up to) 128, 160, and 192 kbps to see
how big it is. ... done:

51445905 mp3-128
53575870 mp3-160
53832276 mp3-192
618874624 wav

At 2*2*44100 B/sec for CDs, that works out to 58:28 of music, which is
reasonable. It's piano jazz.

So it looks like 300 CDs into 192 kbps MP3 would take up 15 GiB.

I could replace the solid-state drives with four DVD drives; that's much
cheaper and easier to deal with, but the downside is that adding and
removing music gets much harder.

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81
Your pretended fear lest error might step in is like the man who