[SLUG] Raw ASCII Printer

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 23:03:48 EDT

I have a Panasonic KX-P1123 dot matrix printer that I want to use for basic
text printing. As a 24-pin printer, it runs faster in native LQ mode and
prints cleaner than what comes out of the Postscript driver. Right now it
seems that KDE and CUPS insist on talking to it in Postscript, no matter how
I configure it. I set up a raw printer in KDE for plain ASCII, and that
seemed to take, but when I told Konqueror to print a sample ASCII text file
to "Text Printer," the Panasonic spat out a huge quantity of Postscript
instead of the three lines of text I had in the file.

What did I miss? Do I need to send these ASCII jobs to LP0 from the command
line instead of the GUI?