Re: [SLUG] Raw ASCII Printer

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2008 - 23:33:50 EDT

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 11:22 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Tim Wright wrote:
> > I have a Panasonic KX-P1123 dot matrix printer that I want to use for
> > basic text printing. As a 24-pin printer, it runs faster in native LQ
> > mode and prints cleaner than what comes out of the Postscript driver.

(snip)

> I set up my Citizen GSX-230 for ASCII printing (actually raw, whether or
> not it's 7-bit ASCII) by defining a queue in CUPS named "gsx230r" (in my
> case). It has device=LPT#1, make="Raw", model="Raw Queue(en)", and I print
> to it by doing
>
> ... | lpr -P gsx230r
>
> I can probably do
>
> lpr -P gsx230r filename
>
> but I haven't tried.

Thanks for all the tips. It turns out that the easiest way is through the
command line. KDE insists on talking Postscript to all printers via Enscript
until I figure out the Magic Words and Phrases in the Enscript and MIME type
configurations to tell it different. Right now I'm not smart enough.

I have two print queues going to the same printer on lp0, "PanisonicKX-P1123"
and "Text_Printer". Using lpr works for what I want to do, and I noticed that
sending a text file to the Text_Printer queue lets me set the printer's front
panel settings for different fonts and pitches built into the printer (Draft,
LQ courier/prestige/script, 10/12 pitch, etc). Sending it to the
PanisonicKX-P1123 queue with lpr prints the file in default draft only,
because the printer ignores front panel settings when the system is setting
soft switches inside the printer.

Eben ought to try "lpr -P gsx230r filename" to see how this works for him. He
should be able to use the printer's built in font and pitch options since he
set up his Citizen printer in CUPS as a Raw printer.

The Postscript driver for the Panasonic KX-P1123 can produce some very nice
results, but it can take as long as 12 minutes a page at the higher
resolutions. Life is too short to waste that much time just to print text.