[SLUG] fixing what X unfixed

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2008 - 15:38:38 EDT

So just now I ran xscreensaver-config to amuse the cat. (She seems to like
"Bouncing Cow" and the other one goes batty for "Atunnel".) I was going
through the list, previewing ones which might be good, and one of them in
the Bs or Cs (I forget which one, but it was two words and reminded me of a
name) took down X. Boom, no warning, just black And I hadn't even asked it
for a preview, just selected it in the list. That'a probably close enough
to tickle most bugs anyhow.

OOCalc (maybe any OOo program) sometimes hangs when bringing down the "file"
menu (maybe any menu). I think it locks up fvwm, though. But I can't
interact with X, and nothing but the mouse pointer (it's in hardware anyhow)
moves, and after killing what I can, I have to reboot.

So I logged in by ssh and am sending this. I haven't rebooted yet (and
rebooting is the only way I know of fixing the video card). Is there a way,
maybe by rmmod && modprobe, to avoid it?

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except