[SLUG] eth0 renamed

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 01:04:30 EDT

A while back, I installed some updates. Today was the first time I
rebooted, and things broke. Nothing could use the LAN. I kinda expected
this, as I installed dnsmasq once and I can figure out neither how to
configure it nor how to disable it, so at every boot /etc/resolv.conf gets
overwritten and I replace it with a spare. But even after doing that, it
wouldn't work. Oh, eth0 is down. "ifup eth0". "SIOCSIFADDR No such
interface" (or words to that effect) Huh? (Lather, rinse, repeat. Add in
"modprobe" to taste.) Turns out something renamed eth0 to eth1. There's
only one NIC in this box (it's onboard), and that's the way it's always
been.

After a little vi and mkdir action, eth1 came up. vmware got broken...

In other news, the router seems to be slacking. I'm now on a dynamic
address, currently 192.168.1.53. This situation will be rectified as soon
as I have a word with it.

But anyhow, what would do such a thing? And can I expect a repeat
performance at every boot?

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81

This message was created using recycled electrons. ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.