Re: [SLUG] CD ripper

From: Joe O (joeo@cracktown.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 18:27:56 EDT

"Grip" was the standard GUI one on the unix/linux side for a long time.
I'm sure there's a plethora of them now. It had some options to spawn
extra encoders to munch on multiple extracted tracks at once. Back in the
era of 500MHz cpu's you could even kluge up some scripts with it to farm
out encoding jobs to other hosts via rsh/ssh. Any more CPU's are fast
enough that they can encode music as fast as your cd drive will pull the
raw .wav off the media. It supports access to freedb.org to generate id3
tags.