Re: [SLUG] finding duplicates

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon May 19 2008 - 12:22:24 EDT

On Mon, 19 May 2008, ronan wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>> If you have too many images, there is software out there that'll find
>> duplicates in your collection. (I've used it; it's decent; unfortunately,
>> it runs on that other OS). Is there anything similar for MP3s?
>>
> find / -iname "*.mp3" -exec id3v2 --list {} \; | grep TIT | cut -f2 -d: |
> sort | uniq -d
>
> That'll give you a list of duplicated song titles (but not the paths to the
> files). That is based on the song titles being identical in the id3 data, so
> it might not find all duplicates (ripped using different CDDB entries or
> such).

find . -iname \*.mp3 -print0 | xargs -0 id3v2 -l | grep TIT2 | cut -f 2 -d :
| sort | uniq -d

is probably faster. But yeah, that probably won't do overall, but it's a
good early filter. Actually, you don't have to trim out the TIT2 stuff to
get a uniqueness indication, as it's the same for every file.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
      If you need someone to blame