Re: [SLUG] The REAL reason we use Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 15:28:51 EDT

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 09:30:32AM -0400, Ken Elliott wrote:

> http://blog.anamazingmind.com/2008/03/real-reason-we-use-linux.html

Well, he's mostly right as far as I'm concerned. But I'd add a couple of
points. I object to being held hostage by companies who think they know
better than me and won't open the curtain wide to show what's going on
inside the machine. Plus, I know for a fact it will be six months or a
year before they fix this obscure bug I found, if ever. The bug fix
cycle on Linux is way faster.

I'm also cheap. For some things, I'll blow my entire wad to get the
best, particularly something which will *last*. In the case of software,
I'd rather get it cheap or free. I can upgrade at any time, at no cost
to me.

I'm way past the stage of "let me see if I can break my system, and then
have fun fixing it". I just want it to work. But if I have to fix it, I
want things to be transparent and actually fixable, not hidden in the
third TechNet CD on the left and not fixable anyway.

My take on Linuxers is that they are mostly tinkerers anyway, so the
"Let's have fun" hypothesis fits for the most part.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster