RE: [SLUG] ethernet couplers

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott11@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2008 - 17:36:58 EDT

>> Would wrapping them in Al foil help? My electrical intuition says the
Al shied would emulate a Faraday chamber, so it should.

The issue is often crosstalk between strands. Wrapping the assembly in
aluminum foil would only help shield it from external RF.

Wayne's statement:
> It takes time
> for electricity to propagate through a wire, and Ethernet devices will
> only wait so long before assuming the segment isn't in use and begin
> transmission of their own.

Well, this is a bit confusing. I assume Wayne intends something other that
my interpretation of his words.

Electricity travels at the speed of light, so there is no way that it could
timeout. Longer lines do a great job of capturing RF, and this confuses the
network device. Often, this RF causes packet corruption, which will cause
multiple retransmission of the packets. So untwisting the cable does not
slow down the raw signal speed, but packet corruption does cause the data
transmission rate to drop. I had a client next to a radio tower, and you
had to get everything right on the wiring to prevent excessive packet loss.

Ken Elliott