Re: [SLUG] EEEPC

From: Matthew Rogers (matt@runithard.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2008 - 19:51:21 EDT

Hey Sluggers,

The linux version really stinks. I bought the 20g and the Xandros
that's on it has 0 apps in the repositories. I went to install ubuntu
and had to spend about 7 hours configuring it to make it work, from
custom compiling madwifi with a patch to compiling a module for proper
function key support. Oh don't forget the audio and the webcam require
special changes in you alsa and modprobe settings to make work. Oh and
the audio driver doesn't support plugging in a mic unless you go into
alsa config and change the capture device each time you plug it in. Can
you say nightmare? At the end of it I got irritated since my ubuntu
install swelled past the 4 gig OS drive on the machine and I ran out of
HD space.

I thought about moving /usr to the 16 gig slower flash with /home
but.... I caved. I just installed XP and the driver CD that came with
it magically worked. The base install was under 2 gigs and now I'm
using my machine.

I hope to install the new ubuntu with full EEEPC support they're working
on, but for now --- it's XP.

--Matthew Rogers