Re: [SLUG] can't play DVDs

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 18:04:36 EDT

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008, list-catcher wrote:

>> When I try to play a video DVD with mplayer, I get this:
>>
>> eben@kong:~$ mplayer dvd://1
>> MPlayer 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu9.3 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
>
> That's an old version.

I'll try to upgrade. >
sually it offers me possible upgrades, but I'll see if maybe one is
available that it hasn't mentioned. If not, maybe I'll build from source.

>> Too many audio packets in the buffer: (4096 in 8257536 bytes).
>> Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
>> For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
>> MPEG: FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header.
>> Video: Cannot read properties.
>> ==========================================================================
>> Forced audio codec: mad
>
> What's your command line?

Above:

>> eben@kong:~$ mplayer dvd://1

>> File permissions are reasonable:
>>
>> brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2008-06-27 18:46 /dev/scd0
>>
>> Yes, I'm in the group "cdrom". If I mount the disc, I get a read error at
>> the beginning of VTS_01_*.BUP . Could this machine not support DVD
>> encryption? This is a Mr. Bean movie (though the only other time I tried,
>> it failed too, possibly for a diffferent reason), and I have libdvdread3.
>> Ideas?
>
> You're reading it fine.

You mean, interpreting its actions correctly, or that's how one reads a
file?

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      royalty.mine.nu:81
VIRGO:  All Virgos are extremely friendly and intelligent - except