Re: [SLUG] Vinyl LP Albums to Audio CDs in Linux

From: Daniel Jarboe (daniel.jarboe@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 07:58:01 EDT

Hiya Pete,

Your amplifier will handle half of the issue with phono output. It doesn't
have phono-inputs that do the RIAA equalization for you, so you'll probably
want to do it in software (audacity) to hear the sound as originally
intended. But you probably listen to your vinyl through the Sherwood as is,
now, right? The equalization will boot the lows and dampen the highs, which
was how it was intended to be heard (the opposite process was applied at the
time the record was created).

You most likely have AC'97 for your sound. 16-bit onboard sound will
probably be good enough for the recording... but your ears will know best.
Pink is your microphone.

DAO and TAO is not an application you install per se (though k3b uses the
cdrdao program for DAO). DAO vs TAO refers to how the disc is burned.
Burning TAO will be less work for you and is usually the default... it burns
each track individually and the wave data requirements are more lax, but it
offers less control over the finished product (such as no cd-text and
limited control of between track gaps). DAO is disk at once requires
additional planning (e.g. wave data length will need to be a multiple of the
CD sector size). shntool (probably packaged for /usr/bin) is, among other
things, a handy utility to do precise manipulations of your sound files.
It's a command-line utility. If command-line or DAO sounds like too much
work, try burning TAO with k3b first and see if the final product is good
enough.

Good luck!
~ Daniel