Re: [SLUG] Vinyl LP Albums to Audio CDs in Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2008 - 18:50:32 EDT

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Pete Theisen wrote:

> Ron Youvan wrote:
>>> I've burned a bunch of CD's from LP's. The s/w really is the least of
>>> worries.
>>> There is actually another problem. LINE on an amplifier is NOT the same as
>>> LINE on a computer. Still is an mismatched impedance. Should buy a small
>>> transformer specifically for that purpose.
>>
>> Since really flat transformers cost over @$90 I would not suggest it.
>> The minor mismatches of impedances at audio frequency is usually
>> inconsequential. Do you use cables with 2,000 Ohm surge impedance
>> for your interconnections? They usually are more like 90 Ohms.
>
> How can I tell? I have a Sperry SP-5A meter that seems to have an ohm
> measurement "X1K". If I touch the leads together it reads less than 1 on the
> range. How would I measure the resistance of a cable? Sorry if it is a dumb
> question.

Since audio cables carry alternating current, that 2000 ohms is a
quantity of impedance, not straight DC resistance, which is what most meters
measure.

I think he was giving an example of component-specifying-absurdity anyhow,
to illustrate that paying $90 for a matching transformer which will get rid
of a tiny bit of impedance-mismatch distortion is like paying $BIGNUM for a
2KOhm cable when bog-standard ones are 90 ohms.

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.