[SLUG] sysklogd

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 14:16:00 EDT

sysklogd won't start using the script /etc/init.d/sysklogd, but will start
with the same options when invoked manually. It even creates its own PID
file unasked, so the system should go down cleanly, even if I left it like
this. I tried tracing the flow of execution, and got as far as
determining that this line:

start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec /sbin/syslogd -- -m -u syslog -r

probably returns 1 (an error) (and "start-stop-daemon" is in /sbin, so
tracing it is difficult), and then various things happen which end up with
"[fail]" being printed on the right in red, and the daemon not staying
running. I've tried it with and without the "-m" ("don't background"), same
results. Any ideas?

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb