[SLUG] sound management

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 21:50:17 EDT

I have a 4.1 speaker system (front (L & R), rear (L & R), center
"subwoofer"). Most audio sources have only two channels, and those by
default go to front (L & R). Since I'd rather use all four channels (the .1
is generated by the speakers), I implemented ... well heck, I still have
"pcm.ch40dup" defined in /etc/asound.conf, but xmms doesn't point to it.
Yet sound comes out all speakers. Hmm...

Anyhow, that's irrelevant to the thrust of my query, which is: how can I
make xmms' volume and balance controls affect all four speakers, not just
the front two? The fader can remain fixed, as I use it relatively rarely.
IOW, I'd like to see

|------x--------------| |----------x----------|
     Volume Balance

(affecting all speakers) instead of

|------x--------------| L |----x----------------|
    Front volume Rear volume

in the mixer and

    (Front) volume (Front) Balance

in xmms. The only place I've found Volume and Fader (no Balance) that
affect all four.1 speakers is on the right front speaker itself.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81
CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the