Re: [SLUG] Website Looks Like a Unix Shell

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 23:07:40 EDT

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 03:27:46AM -0700, tony z wrote:

> I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it's funny you ask...
> I just gave this same idea some thought last night...
>
> I used to run a BBS and once the internet started to gain in popularity I
> made it available over the web via a Java-Telnet client embedded into the
> web-page. Not something I'd want to do now-a-days.
>
> If you are looking for that "shell look" through a web language such as
> HTML, JAVA, PHP, etc... It would be rather easy to write an HTML FORM
> with a text field as the "command line" when the form is "submitted" a
> form value such as "cd downloads" could be interpreted by the form
> processor as :
>
> if (isset($_POST['command']){
> if ($_POST['command'] == 'cd downloads'){ echo '<meta
> http-equiv="Refresh" content="1; url=./downloads">'; }
> elseif ($_POST['command'] == 'cd music'){ echo '<meta
> http-equiv="Refresh" content="1; url=./music">'; }
> } else { echo 'Bad command or filename...'; }
>
> **Now, just include the form in all pages**
>
> That example is off the top of my head and far from complete...
>
> Obviously you will need to understand HTML Forms and a language such as
> PHP to do this. Good Luck.

Yeah, I have a huge amount of PHP code I've written for our internal
corporate site. Works and all, but I dislike the amount of mousing one
has to do to get around. I'm an old shell guy, and I was wondering how I
could set the whole thing up so that you could just type in menu choices
and such, rather than do all this mousing. My first thought was to look
up that old "shell" website I remembered and see if it might provide any
helpful guidelines. But the cb.vu site requires a lot of javascript,
which wouldn't be compatible with a text-only browser.

I wasn't particularly looking to set up a terminal in a browser. But I
was looking more at how that website author handled entered commands and
such. I'll probably implement it as an unordered list of links (to give
my WIMP interface wife a break), but with a form at the bottom to type
in a "hotkey" for the function I want, as an alternative to the WIMP
interface.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster