Re: [SLUG] USB drive died (maybe)

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Aug 30 2008 - 10:41:59 EDT

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Daniel Jarboe wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Eben King <eben01@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> My USB drive -- a Venus case with a 350M PATA inside (can't read the drive
>> to get the model) won't read. Partition 6 and 7 fail with these errors:
[snip]

> Are you running a SATA system? If not, you could just remove the drive from
> the external enclosure, put it on one of your IDE ribbons (double-check that
> the drive jumpers are set correctly for CS/master/slave) to find out.

I am, but this drive ("a 350M PATA") isn't, so I don't need to be. Anyhow,
I turned it off last night, and today I tried again and it worked. So I'm
guessing something with heat. The case has one of those flatish fans, but
maybe that's insufficient.

--
-eben      QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP      http://royalty.mine.nu:81
ARIES:  The look on your face will be priceless when you find that 40lb