Re: [SLUG] Rock Ridge ISO mounting

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 15:45:44 EDT

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, richard wrote:

> Hello fellow slug Linux users,
>
> A friend of mine is running into an issue with mounting an image in Rock
> Ridge ISO format. I have no experience with Rock Ridge. If there anyone
> on this list that can help shed some light, I would really appreciate it.
>
> Here is my friend's message:
>
> "Hello, I appreciate you taking the time to look at this. It is more a
> question of recommendation than a particular problem. I'm running an Ubuntu
> 8.04.01 server that wont mount a particular ISO image because it also has a
> Rock Ridge extension filesystem on it. It will mount other ISOs and other
> Linux boxes wont mount the Rock Ridge ISO either. I think this isolates the
> issue to that specific ISO. So, I need an application that will handle the
> complexities of ISO image manipulation for me. The end goal is an
> arrangement similar to Daemon-Tools for windows, but of course on a Linux
> platform with the ISO exported via NFS. So if you are aware of a tool
> that is similar, or the Linux equivalent of ISOmagic, that's really what I'm
> after. I tried CDemu, but it errored on getting a D-BUS name. Thanks again
> for having a look."

This is addressed at the friend:

You could mount without interpreting the RR extensions (-o norock) or try
"isoinfo" which AFAIK will just inspect an ISO, not copy files from it:

,--
| ISOINFO(8) ISOINFO(8)
| -R Extract information from Rock Ridge extensions (if present) for
| permissions, file names and ownerships.
'--

I know of no app that'll mount anything using a re-implementation of the
"mount" syscall.

--
"The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a
  twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals